Love The Purex Complete Crystals But They Cause An Allergic Reaction
by SR101 Reader
An SR101 Reader shared her experience with Purex crystals, which included an allergic reaction to the scents within the product. Unfortunately, this seems to be a growing trend, and all of the reviews below share similar stories of allergies exacerbated by this product.
SR101 Reader says:
I loved these, but unfortunately they are breaking my husband out in very large hives.
I had to quit using and rewash EVERYTHING in the house, including all the towels, sheets and blankets, all undergarments etc. Quite an ordeal.
I would love to know what is in them that could be causing this.
Thanks for sharing your experience with this product.
Unfortunately, even though these crystals are 92% natural they have added fragrances, and other ingredients that may be causing your husband's allergy problems. Plus, even because things are natural doesn't mean they won't cause allergic reactions in people.
You are doing the right thing to rewash everything, and hopefully that will clear up the problem for him. Unfortunately, it seems, you won't be able to use the Purex crystals in your home because of this allergy. You may also want to look into hypoallergenic laundry detergent for the whole family if your husband's allergy problems continue.
Has anyone else had allergy problems when using this product, or with any fabric softener? You can share your opinions about fabric softener here, or read other reviews for other brands and types which have already been submitted.
In addition, please note that I am a Purex Insider. What this means is that I was chosen as an ambassador for the company, to learn information about their laundry products so that I can share them with you. However, what I share with you is based on my own experience, or that of my readers, and is not influenced by Purex.
Response To Reader Sharing The Purex Crystals Caused An Allergic Reaction
Heidi responded to the review above where an SR101 reader shared that the Purex crystals caused her husband to have an allergic reaction.
My guess would be the perfume. It could be the dye, but I am betting on the perfume.
The Purex Crystals are specifically made to leave behind a very strong fragrance that can last a very long time.
I have actually used this brand with good results. There are some fabric softeners we can not use because of the kind of fragrance used or other chemicals added, so I understand your frustrations.
We usually have problems with dryer sheets. I think we break out because of the combination of wax holding in the scent and it being against our skin. It's weird but that is how it works in my home.
Thanks Heidi for your thoughts on the allergic reaction issue.
Has anyone else had allergic reactions to any laundry supplies? Please share your laundry supplies review here, telling me your story of what happened, and what you did to try to fix the problem when you experienced the allergies.
My Advice: Use It Cautiously Until You Know If You Have A Reaction
My 13 year old and 9 year old both started having hives after prolonged exposure to clothing and bedding washed with these crystals, and neither of them had had an allergic reaction to anything before.
I find it interesting that the bottle says right on it that it's an "Irritant"!!!!! Sure is!!!
I have used every scented laundry soap and fabric softener out there, but this is first time anyone in my family had a reaction.
Disappointing because I do like the smell. Oh well.
My advice to anyone thinking about trying it-- have Benadryl and Aveeno oatmeal soap on hand and save yourself a lot of hassle and only wash a load or two and see if you have a reaction.
Purex Crystals Gave Me An Allergic Reaction With The Fresh Spring Scent
by SR101 Reader
An SR101 reader wrote to share with me the allergic reaction she had to Purex Crystals fabric softener.
SR101 reader says:
After using the crystals my laundry smelled terrific and the scent did last a long time.
However, I experienced an allergic reaction on my face and behind my knees and inside elbows (where clothes rub against skin). The burn on my face was so bad (most likely from bath towels & washcloths) that It peeled a couple of layers of skin off around my lip and nose area.
I'm still healing/re-peeling a week later.
I'm sorry to hear how this product effected your allergies. I hope you feel better soon.
I guess you'll have to lay off the scented laundry supplies no matter how good they smell, it's definitely not worth that!
I would note, too, that it is not just Purex crystals which are causing allergic reactions for people. Other highly scented crystals and beads which are now all the rage in laundry supplies, such as Downy Unstopables and Gain Fireworks have also caused some of my readers to have allergic reactions.
There are affiliate links on this page, and if you purchase a product through them I receive a small commission. Purchasing through my links costs you nothing extra, but helps support the free information provided on this site and my family. To learn more please see my product review disclosure statement.
Comments for Purex Crystals Gave Me An Allergic Reaction With The Fresh Spring Scent
I hope you enjoy this gift, and stop by again soon!
CAUTION: This website is provided for informational purposes only. It is provided as is, without warranties or guarantees. Some stains and messes just won't come out, and are permanent. Further, some cleaning methods can harm your item, so if what you want to clean or launder is sentimental or expensive call a professional. See disclaimer of liability for more information.